Introducing ntt. Modern tools for TTCN-3

Simon, Matthias (Nokia - DE/Ulm) matthias.simon at nokia.com
Thu Feb 18 13:25:39 UTC 2021

Hi,

I am Matthias, a TTCN-3 tool developer from Nokia.

Thank you for opening your work. Your repository osmo-ttcn3-hacks helped me
to understand how other developers use TTCN-3 for testing. This gave me
valuable insights for tool development.

I hope I can give something back by opening up our internal TTCN-3 tools as
well. Harald suggested to introduce them on this list. I'd appreciate your
feedback.

Our project is called ntt and it provides various tools for working with
TTCN-3 [1]. For example, you can create a tags file:

	$ ntt tags ./osmo-ttcn3-hacks/bts >TAGS

Or you can list things. To filter cyclic imports, for example:

	$ ntt list imports ./osmo-ttcn3-hacks/bts | tsort 1>/dev/null

But the most interesting piece is probably the TTCN-3 language server: ntt implements the
language server protocol. This makes ntt a universal TTCN-3 language plugin for
virtually any editor or IDE [2].

It's still very much beta, but we are finishing the Go to Definition feature
(as replacement for ctags files). The next feature would be adding various
diagnostics.

It would be great if you could give ntt a try and share your experience or editor
configuration with me.

This is my first open source project and we still have to figure some stuff
out. So please excuse if there are still some rough edges.

Cheers,
Matthias

[1] https://nokia.github.io/ntt/
[2] https://nokia.github.io/ntt/editors/