WIP / RFC for pysim 'next generation;' aka pysim-shell

Harald Welte laforge at osmocom.org
Thu Feb 4 11:03:49 UTC 2021

Hi Mychaela,

On Wed, Feb 03, 2021 at 11:01:19PM -0800, Mychaela Falconia wrote:
> My ideal dream SIMs for running my own GSM/2G network (a network whose
> sole purpose is to provide service to classic GSM/2G phones) would be
> those that have only the classic SIM application, and NO USIM or ISIM.
> And I would really like for USIM and ISIM to be truly-truly Not There,
> rather than just hidden from EF_DIR.

In theory, you should be able to remove the respective applications from
most java based cards with the right credentials via SCP02.  Did you
try?

> I am currently in negotiations with Grcard in China, who are telling
> me that they can supply me with such SIMs, and at an affordable price
> too, without a cost-prohibitive MOQ.

sysmocom can certainly also provide such cards, should you have a
related requirement.  It requires creating a card profile without
ADF.USIM + ADF.ISIM, which certainly can be done.  I think the cards
will still react to APDUs with CLA != 0xA0, but you would not have any
ADF.USIM or ADF.ISIM present.

One clear disadvantage of using SIM without USIM functionality even on a
2G radio network is that you can never use mutual authentication between
network and phone (which is a pure protocol related aspect, so it could
be implemented in any phone/baseband whose software can be modified -
including FreeCalypso.

- Harald Welte <laforge at osmocom.org>            http://laforge.gnumonks.org/