Support for new SDR devices

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Fri Sep 11 09:29:52 UTC 2020

Hi Xaver,

On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 07:51:50AM +0200, Xaver Zu wrote:

> I created a short Wiki page. Please see if it's enough as a link to a
> commit message.
> https://osmocom.org/projects/sdr/wiki/PCIeSDR

Thanks.  For sure it is sufficient in terms of content.  I did some minor reformatting
while reading.

However, I found a major problem. You state:

> The higher-level driver (in userspace) includes a DSP, a calibration stage, and the gateware update. It is in the form of a closed source dynamic library named libsdr.so. The C API for Linux / x86 is in the form of a header file libsdr.h which also serves as brief documentation.

This is incompatible with the strong copyleft licensing (AGPLv3) of osmo-trx!
You cannot directly link with a proprietary library.

The only way I can see a PCIeSDR backend for osmo-trx would be via osmo-trx-ipc,
which provides a general-purpose sharde memory interface to another process.  The
other process can then use the non-free library, if you want that.