Application specific VTY attributes

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Mon Oct 5 18:40:09 UTC 2020

On Sat, Oct 03, 2020 at 05:27:54PM +0700, Vadim Yanitskiy wrote:
> [...] it does not
> make sense to have FOO_VTY_ATTR_RESTART_FULL at all.  It's obvious that
> all commands apply on full program restart, right?  Instead, we took the

Depends on how you read this. I thought this indicates the *minimum*
requirement to get a config to take effect. If a config has the attribute
"ATTR_RESTART_FULL" it means there is no way to apply this config unless i
actually restart the program. From that aspect it could be more elegant to
leave config items without attributes until someone looked at it and determined
the minimum requirement. Otherwise we'd tag commands as "RESTART_FULL" which
don't actually require a full restart.

> > I'm -as usual - in favor of consistency.  So if the old code has no prefix, any
> > additions should also not have prefixes.

And me as usual in favor of throwing out silly quirks that exist only "because
we always did it that way". I'd favor the approach that everything in
libosmocore should have the "osmo_"/"OSMO_" prefix.
But I can accept that I disagree and think it's quirky and strange, but am
not going to get my way there. See the recent bssmap_le patches...

~N