Ericsson RBS 6402

Caleb Pal cleb at defcon-3.net
Tue Jun 30 22:50:33 UTC 2020

Good Afternoon,

I recently acquired a NIB Ericsson RBS 6402. The specific model number
appears to be KRD 901 060/83. I see that the osmocom crew has integrated
this RBS with NextEPC at the 2019 CCC Camp event. I have used other
vendors eNodeB's with NextEPC, and would like to try the RBS with it as
well.

So far, I have booted up the RBS, and set my machine with a 10.1.1.1/24
IP address. The limited documentation I found online said the RBS should
respond to http at 10.1.1.11, at which point an XML site configuration
file can be uploaded. I see arp responses in WireShark from 10.1.1.11,
but cannot ping, or access http @ 10.1.1.11. If I place the RBS on a
network with a DHCP server, it obtains an address,  but in the same
state, no response to pings, and no http access. Also tried ssh on the
standard port, with no response.

I see the wiki has information that appears to be output from a
terminal. Is that SSH or serial to the board itself?

I do have a rasbpi available on the network with a GPS/1PPS source for
timing. Is this as simple as setting opt 042 in the DHCP server that the
RBS will use?

Any guidance is appreciated!

v/r,

Caleb