Feedback to GSUP Proxy Cache concept

Oliver Smith osmith at sysmocom.de
Thu Jan 23 11:09:47 UTC 2020

Hi Neels,

> D-GSM proxy cache -- if you have the time, feedback on this design document would be appreciated: http://git.osmocom.org/osmo-hlr/commit/?h=neels/dgsm&id=8071c561405a031f2048c4505d9ae20f3c14af4e
> (when that commit is checked out, building osmo-hlr with manuals enabled should render the ladder diagrams in proxy_cache.adoc, which illustrate what I'm planning to implement)
> (and disregard "(7) Skip the Insert Subscriber Data", as explained in the prose)

I like that the key of the home HLR is not shared with the proxy HLRs.
All in all, it sounds like a very smart solution!

Some notes:
* In the ladder diagrams, it shows that the AKAs are cached in both the
  MSC and the HLR. Why not just cache them in the HLR?
* It might be a good idea to make AKA reuse optional with a VTY config
  option?
* Potential use case: phone is home in village A, gets turned off, owner
  travels to village B with the phone, the link to village A is down.
  Phone gets turned on, then there will be no AKAs cached in village B's
  (proxy) HLR and the LU will fail. But there does not seem a way around
  this without sharing the keys (or without spaming other HLRs with AKAs
  for all subscribers in the HLR that they might use in the future, but
  that would just waste traffic).

Regards,
Oliver

--