openBSC with commercial BTS

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Mon Aug 24 10:59:42 UTC 2020

Dear Ivan,

On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 12:34:10PM +0300, Ivan Babanov wrote:
> Thank you for information, Is my understanding correct that in your case
> RBS6000 connected via E1?

This is correct. Our primary E1 interface so far has been the Digium
(now Sangoma) cards with the DAHDI Linux driver.  However, Sylvain has
recently created an open source hardware + open source software USB E1
adapter.  This adapter is already fully supported by osmo-bsc /
libosmo-abis via osmo-e1d.  Related hardware should soon become available.

In case you were wondering about IP based back-haul:
Some years ago we also created an implementation of "Packet Abis over IP",
which is wha the Ericsson SIU / TCU are speaking towards the BSC.  The related code
can be found in the osmo-el2tpd repository.  However, it was for a proof of concept
at the time, and only signaling plane + packet data was tested, not any voice services.

It should not be too much effort to take this from the proof-of-concept
state (remove hard-coded IP addresses, ...) and fully integrate that
into OsmoBSC/MGW/PCU.  As usual, sysmocom is very happy to work in that
area.

If I'm not mistaken, the more recent RBS6000 digital units for GSM
(DUS31, DUS41, ...) speak the same L2TP derived "Packet Abis over IP",
but we have no experience with those as of yet.

Regards,
	Harld