DGSM merge: need feedback on open questions

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Tue Apr 28 15:17:04 UTC 2020

Hi all,

we need to wrap up the DGSM work and get it to a state that can be merged to
master.

There are still open issues that I am not sure how to solve, which I've
mentioned on some occasions, but it seems to not have been loud enough.
I would easily choose one way, but am not sure about others' opinions.

(1) One open point is the GSUP peer identification.  I've added a comment
explaining it in https://gerrit.osmocom.org/c/osmo-hlr/+/16459/9

Me personally, I would strip down basically all of that complexity again and go
with the simplest solution, a nul terminated size limited char string for GSUP
peer id. The patch became what it is because vague requirements were thrown in
the mix and I tried to accomodate them, and now it ended up being a rather ugly
shim around a simple char string, really.

(2) Another open question is the freeing behavior in osmo_gsup_req (for proper
async handling of DGSM, and to ensure proper GSUP responses).  I've added a
comment explaining that in https://gerrit.osmocom.org/c/osmo-hlr/+/16205/29

The gist for both issues is that I could write patches that would have a large
ripple effect throug many files and follow-up patches, but if we again disagree
on the outcome, the work would multiply.

So, DGSM works and is ready, except that we need to agree on what will be
accepted by review. I need opinions to be able to complete this (or possibly a
"go" to do whatever I think is right and merge that).

Thanks!

~N