2019-09-10: Talk about commercial cellular base station technology

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Thu Sep 5 11:30:03 UTC 2019

Dear Osmocom community and friends,

Next week on September 10, I will be presenting a talk about cellular base
station technology as part of the "Datengarten" series of talks at Chaos
Computer Club Berlin (CCCB).

The talk will focus on actual base station hardware as it evolved during the
last 20 years or so.  It will not assume much in terms of protocol stacks or
cellular architecture, but more focus on the hardware building blocks.

More information can be found at https://berlin.ccc.de/datengarten/102/

The event is public, so feel free to invite anyone along whom you think
might be interested.

--- Abstract

In today’s hyper-connected society, everyone constantly uses their
smartphone, which in turn uses the commercial cellular networks (from
2G/GSM to 4G/LTE) in order to achieve connectivity. However, contrary to
WiFi technology, even most technology-minded people don’t have much of
an idea how the infrastructure behind those cellular networks looks
like.

This talk does not cover the architecture and protocols of underlying
cellular systems, but focuses on the physical side of things:
* what are the typical components of cellular base stations?
* what are their key functionalities?
* how did cellular base station technology evolve during the past 20 years?
* how do we expect cellular base stations to change in the [near] future?

We will not cover DIY or hobbyist projects here, but the actual
technology deployed in the field by real-world commercial operators.

---