OSMO SMSc functionality

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Fri Mar 22 21:03:17 UTC 2019

Hi Alex,

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 06:31:09PM +0000, Alex Alwin Thomas wrote:
> We had a question with regards to the OSMO MSc - as per the
> documentation , it does support a scaled down version of SMSC.

Yes.

> Can we bring up just the SMSc service so that it can talk to another
> vendor's MSC/HLR .

No, this is not possible.  The OsmoMSC internal SMSC functionality
doesn't implement any external/standard interfaces.

> We are trying to perform CSFB SMS tests with an external MSC / OSMO
> SMSC and Amarisoft EPC Core . So wanted to check if the OSMO SMSC
> could be used for this test.

Unfortuantely not.  However, you can of course use the Amarisoft SGs to
talk to OsmoMSC SGs and support SMS services this way.  You'd need
OsmoMSC and OsmoHLR on the Osmocom side.  You would not have
any interworking with external HLRs.

As there is no DIAMETER support in OsmoHLR, you'd have to manually
ensure that the same subscriber information (IMSI/K/OPc/...) is present
in the Amarisoft HSS and the OsmoHLR.

Having a GSUP-to-DIAMETER gateway is on our wishlist, exactly to support
scenarios like this:  Use some 3rd party vendor EPC for 4G in parallel
with the Osmocom stack for 2G/3G, both accessing one shared subscriber
database.  However, unfortuantely nobody has yet been able to dedicate
any resources to this task.