3G PS hack (RE: 35c3 feedback)

Mykola Shchetinin mykola at pentonet.com
Mon Mar 11 08:57:05 UTC 2019

Hello Keith,

> 2) 3G data instabilities

> ( Just a quick observation note, no pcap! )

> I happened to notice that pinging a 3G handset from the network side
> (default ping: 1 sec internal, 64 ICMP bytes) keeps the connection
> "alive" and using 3G data is then a pleasant experience, IM, email,
> browsing, SIP call all working nicely. peak max download speed of 16Mbps
> was reported at one time by m.speedof.me

Can I ask you to expand a bit more on the topic? Sorry, it's been a while after
you sent the original email.

>From where did you perform a ping? From the machine where GGSN is running?

And that also means that to run 3G PS network now it is needed to make some type
of a service which will ping all the handsets registered, right? (Actually, that
is what I am going to do now while the SGSN isn't fixed by somebody or us)

Thank You!

Kind regards,
Mykola