Sample configs for reproducing osmo-nitb behaviour with the split stack

Oliver Smith osmith at sysmocom.de
Mon Jul 15 08:05:23 UTC 2019

Hey Rafael,

On 7/13/19 5:55 PM, Rafael Diniz wrote:
> Hi Harald,
>
>> On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 10:26:04AM -0300, Rafael Diniz wrote:
>>> Today I'm working on updating my NuRAN unit with the new osmo stack
>>
>> Can you clarify which particular model/unit that is?
>>
>> I would assume that the 'nightly' OE packages sysmocom provides should have
>> all related features.
>
> It's a Nuran LC 1.5. I'm using debian 9 armhf packages and compiling by
> hand the BTS and PCU against LC 1.5 headers.
>
>>> I'm writing just in case someone already put online a set of config
>>> files with the parameters needed by such behavior set?
>>> ; )
>>
>> I would be careful with full configuration files, as they contain all kinds
>> of settings which may or may not do what you want.  The settings for
>> subcsriber-create-on-demand are only 2-3, AFAIR.
>>
>>> ps: I have the new splip stack working fine here, I just need to modify
>>> my setup with new features to support subscriber_create_on_demand.
>>
>> Then please simply use the config files you have and not start with
>> something else just because you need to modify one or very few lines...
>>
>> See https://osmocom.org/issues/2542 where Oliver actually also points to
>> a short new chapter in the manual at https://ftp.osmocom.org/docs/latest/osmohlr-usermanual.pdf
>>
>> If yo have more specific questions, feel free to raise them here :)
>
> Fine, I'll just adapt my config - Thanks!!

As Harald pointed out, the documentation could use some more examples.
I'll update the docs accordingly, but to make your life easier, here are
the configuration options relevant for your use case (with sending the
IMEI to the HLR).

osmo-msc.cfg:
msc
 check-imei early

osmo-hlr.cfg:
hlr
 subscriber-create-on-demand 5 none
 store-imei

This will create 5 digit MSISDNs for the subscribers, and disable CS NAM
and PS NAM by default (circuit switched and packet switched network
access modes). Subscribers can't make phone calls or use cellular data,
so their phones will not connect to the network, but the entry in the
HLR will be created.

After a new subscriber was created, it will look like this in the VTY
(I've replaced the real IMEI and IMSI with zeros):

OsmoHLR> enable
OsmoHLR# subscriber imei 00000000000000 show
    ID: 1
    IMSI: 000000000000000
    MSISDN: 58192           <- randomly generated
    IMEI: 000000000000000
    CS disabled
    PS disabled

The idea is now to enable CS and PS for the IMEIs that you know. Right
now, the documentation says:

> In order to do that, one can set the default NAM to none and manually
> approve new subscribers by enabling their nam_cs and nam_ps parameters
> (e.g. over the VTY).

But as I was about to create an example of how these commands look like,
I realized that VTY commands for changing nam_cs and nam_ps don't
actually exist yet :\ So for now, these flags have to be changed
manually in the sqlite database... change nam_cs and nam_ps to 1 in the
subscriber table. Maybe this is still useful for testing. I will add the
missing VTY commands shortly.

> Cheers,
> Rafael Diniz

Cheers,