Osmo metrics and counters

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sat Jan 26 10:58:40 UTC 2019

Dear Omar,

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 04:19:50PM +0000, Omar Ramadan wrote:
> I've been investigating the availability of KPIs on the control interfaces. Is there a way to enumerate which metrics and counters exist? What would be the best way to do so? Thinking it would be a useful to add a list function to add to the VTY and/or the CTRL interface itself.

I'm sorry that nobody has so far responded to this question. I thought
this had long been taken care of :/

The list of counters of every program can be displayed/exported if you
enter "show asciidoc counters", which is what we use to generate the tables
you find in the manuals of the respective program.

To get some more background about the individual counter types:

* osmo_stat_item
  http://ftp.osmocom.org/api/latest/libosmocore/core/html/group__osmo__stat__item.html#details

* rate_counter
  http://ftp.osmocom.org/api/latest/libosmocore/core/html/group__rate__ctr.html#details

* osmo_counter (old, more or less deprecated)
  http://ftp.osmocom.org/api/latest/libosmocore/core/html/structosmo__counter.html

* osmo_stats_reporter
  http://ftp.osmocom.org/api/latest/libosmocore/core/html/group__stats.html#details

  We have two of those in libosmcoore: One that reports to the logging sub-system,
  and another one that reports to statsd / behaves like a statsd exporter

For rate counters, there's an example script on how to export them at
http://git.osmocom.org/python/osmo-python-tests/tree/scripts/osmo_rate_ctr2csv.py

If you have any more specific questions, please follow-up here. Thanks!