Osmo metrics and counters

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Wed Jan 23 01:49:08 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 04:19:50PM +0000, Omar Ramadan wrote:
> I've been investigating the availability of KPIs on the control interfaces. Is there a way to enumerate which metrics and counters exist? What would be the best way to do so? Thinking it would be a useful to add a list function to add to the VTY and/or the CTRL interface itself.

Hi Omar,

though I have no answer ready, I briefly skimmed the code, and it looks to me
like we have CTRL interface commands ready to query rate counters etc, but I
couldn't find commands to actually list the available ones.

Also the VTY contains tailored counter listing commands in various programs but
lacks a generic list of available names, AFAICT. I'm not 100% sure, maybe I
missed it.

What comes to mind though is that at the CCC congress in december, we used the
stats export which feeds all those counters to an external statistics
interface, and there we could browse the available KPIs with a web interface,
being able to compose dashboards in a javascript clickety way, combining KPIs
with formulas and getting all sorts of graphs, fancy stuff like that. I forget
the name, was it a graphite server? I'm not familiar with the details, but that
could be interesting to explore.

In almost all the core network .cfg you can place a config like

stats reporter statsd
  disable
  remote-ip ${STATSD_IP}
  remote-port 9125
  level global
  no prefix
  enable
stats interval 5

and IIUC run a statsd instance to forward to a graphite ... <wave hands> ...
stopping here because I didn't set it up and don't know the details, I hope
someone else can take over here and provide pointers.

~N