default TA vty config for OSMO-PCU?

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Wed Jan 16 17:55:02 UTC 2019

hi Keith,

it is my understanding that the TA value of osmo-pcu is working as expected,
as the timing offset is established durign TBF establishment.  What osmo-pcu
is missing is the PTCCH signalling to continuously adjust the timing advance
as the timing offset evolves during an onging TBF.

So for a subscriber at a [relatively] fixed distance from the BTS (like the population
centre you're describing), it *should* be working.

Please note that Sylvain has just very recently designed an open source
"timing advance generator" under sysmocom contract, ant using that device
(based on the PLUTO-SDR) plus some coaxial wiring/attenuators, it should be
rather easy to simulate both static as well as changing timing advance.

The project is called 'osmo-rfds' (for RF Delay Simulator), see http://git.osmocom.org/osmo-rfds/

If OsmoPCU was just always operating at a static timing advance, I would
agree that a VTY command would be a possible interim hack.  But AFAIK, the
PCU is not actually that limited ;)

Please help to clarify, thanks.