contribution

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Tue Jan 15 14:03:48 UTC 2019

On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 02:44:33PM +0100, Keith wrote:
> I know that my contribution is not huge to Osmocom

The way I feel is that you and Rhizomatica are actually (one of?) the most
important drivers for Osmocom, if not by offloading huge sums of money, then at
least by providing a perspective and meaning. When people ask me what I do they
first go "yes? what? I don't...?" (sadly oblivious of the importance for
openness of critical infra), but when I pull the Rhizomatica card they go "ah,
wow!" -- and you are the most available, most present Rhizomatica person in the
community.

For me personally, the most interesting perspective for Osmocom is exactly the
Rhizomatica use case of becoming a distributed GSM network that is resilient
against network fragmentation between villages, i.e. enabling reliable
operations for people that are not able to make infrastructure problems go away
by dumping millions of bucks on them.

When we're talking about profits and market and all that, granted, but on a
level of meaning and perspective, as well as running real network operations,
in my POV your contribution is actually paramount, is the main reason even.

~N