OML bringup bugs and compatibility

Max msuraev at sysmocom.de
Thu Feb 14 09:22:21 UTC 2019

One possible workaround (unless we find 1-way-fits-all technical
interpretation of a spec) would be to use notion of major vs. minor
releases.

We can guarantee backward compatibility within major releases (any
osmo-bts 1.x.y works with any osmo-bsc 1.a.b) but not between them
(osmo-bts 1.x.y might not work with osmo-bsc 2.m.n).

On a related note, we can follow the same principle with our libraries:
any minor libosmocore 1.k.l. release preserve backward compatibility
while moving to libosmocore 2.q.w. might require some porting efforts.

That would match general expectations set by other free software
projects like GTK for example - nobody expects application written for
GTK2.x to work effortlessly with GTK3.y

--
- Max Suraev <msuraev at sysmocom.de>       http://www.sysmocom.de/
* Alt-Moabit 93