Diameter to GSUP translator

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Thu Aug 15 19:27:05 UTC 2019

Hi all,

as some of you know, I've been working on a small diameteer to GSUP translator,
which allows us to connect a MME like nextepc-mme against osmo-hlr.

The code is still a big ugly hack and needs cleanup, but today I finally
got it to work for authentication and location update.

In case anyone is curious how this looks like, I've attached a pcap file that
includes the S1AP, DIAMETER, GSUP and GTPv2C traffic of an initial LTE registration
happening on a setup running the following programs:

* nextepc MME, SGW, PGW, PCRF
* osmo_diameter2gsup
* osmo-hlr

The point of this is to enable networks to run a shared subscriber
database for 2G, 3G and 4G, which is a very typical use case if you have
existing Osmocom based network and want to extend it with LTE.

We will test this translator extensively at the upcoming CCC Camp, where
all three (2G, 3G and 4G) networks will be running.

The sad part is that we don't yet have a common GGSN and P-GW, which
means that the PDP/PDN context including the IP address will not persist
when moving between 2G+3G on the one hand side and 4G on the other hand
side.

I expect to get the commit history cleaned up and plan to push the
[Erlang] code to git.osmocom.org tomorrow.