3G handover (+ 35C3 experience)

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Wed Aug 14 14:46:44 UTC 2019

On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 01:14:31PM +0300, Mykola Shchetinin wrote:
> Hello, dear Community,
>
> Has anybody tested how cell handover works in 3G with Osmocom software?

I am quite positive that no 3G handover could have been possible, because
osmo-msc would need to (instruct its MGW to) redirect the RTP to a different
femto cell, and no such code is implemented.

I assume 3G handover when using femto cells (with an RNC each) uses the BSSMAP
Handover Required (etc.) messages. We have only recently added inter-BSC
handover on 2G, meaning that we have support for these BSSMAP Handover
messages only since about May this year. It was duly tested for 2G, but so far
there was no funding to investigate inter-RNC handover, i.e. on 3G.

With the new BSSMAP Handover messages implementation in osmo-msc, we do have a
good chance to enable inter-RNC handover without too much effort, only someone
needs to spend time looking into it and testing. The first step would be to
tickle an actual femto cell (e.g. nano3G) into sending a BSSMAP Handover
Required to the MSC; then one could play through the handover procedure and
implement any missing bits for the 3G code paths in osmo-msc.

~N