interfacing core network to SIP world

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Mon Aug 5 16:30:14 UTC 2019

On Mon, Aug 05, 2019 at 04:27:56PM +0200, Keith wrote:
> a) one osmo-sip-connector per SIP UA, sip-connector talks to HLR, and
> has multiple connections to MSCs (UDP then, not Unix Socket?)

Changing to an IP protocol reminds me of jolly's proposal we talked about in
december, a kind of all-new osmo-sip-connector-and-more called osmo-cc. Can't
seem to find a mail reference to that ATM...

I haven't heard about it since December, but even if nothing has happened,
would probably be worthwhile to take a look at the protocol that jolly already
has mapped out in pretty high detail.

The point is that the unix domain socket connection can take assumptions that
the other side is on the same CPU and simply dump (packed) data structs into
it, being sure that they come out intact on the other side. If we're talking
UDP there should instead be a well defined protocol involved to properly encode
and decode different sized integers (and so on and so on). Simply pasting the
current mncc structs into UDP would be a pretty bad hack that is guaranteed to
be unportable.

Related, if I'm going to incorporate proper SDP codec negotiation in the
osmo-sip-connector, I should probably keep that modularly separated from the
unix domain socket protocol, and we should coordinate with this idea.

> IIUC,  in the traditional core network. When an MSC receives a MO SETUP
> from a local MS, and it does not have this number in the VLR, it should
> be querying HLR for routing info, (which may subsequently query another
> HLR) no? why are we only doing VLR lookup in the MSC? Is it simply "To
> be implemented" ?

Yes, these are leftovers of the OsmoNITB paradigm, being "I am the entire core
network". If a subscriber isn't attached, it doesn't exist. You are right that
there should be a distinction between "exists" and "is currently attached", and
the latter part is simply not implemented. I'm currently not sure what 3GPP
spec'd mechanisms the MSC or VLR have to query the mere existence of an
unattached MSISDN, but you're correct to assert that that is missing.

~N