CBCH support for osmo-bts-trx

Lorenzo Cavallini lorenzo.cavallini at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 08:41:16 UTC 2018

Hi,
yes I have some updates. I tested with two different timeslot
configurations: CCCH+SDCCH4+CBCH on ts0 and SDCCH8+CBCH on ts1. In both
cases I'm using an iPhone8 to test. With the first ts configuration, the
iphone could not perform the location update procedure, so basically I had
no connectivity to the basestation. With the second, the location update
procedure goes through, I'm connected, I can send/receive sms and
phonecalls, but smscb are not being delivered, at least that's what I
think. I can definitely see the smscb messages on the gsmtap interface and
I can see the smscb request coming from RSL link. However, I don't get any
broadcasts on the phone itself. But this last part is till not very clear,
I need to investigate a bit more on what's going on. As a side note, when
using CCCH+SDCCH4+CBCH ts0 configuration, both my iPhone8 and my Huawei
Honor9 cannot perform the location update procedure. Apparently they can
only get the BCCH channel but the location update procedure never starts.
I tested as outlined here:
https://osmocom.org/projects/cellular-infrastructure/wiki/Cell_Broadcast#How-to-testuse-it
.
Let me know if this helps and what kind of debug I can provide you, as you
may guess getting debug out of mainstream smartphones is not really easy,
so what I can do is limited on that side.
Thanks!

Lorenzo