OsMux + MGW + SIP

Keith keith at rhizomatica.org
Sat Sep 8 18:10:50 UTC 2018

I was browsing a little through the osmux code in openbsc and
libosmo-netif, but I did not quite find the answer to this question I have:

Pablo maybe you can shed light?

When you divide the OSMUX stream again and turn each circuit ID back
into individual RTP stream you have an associated port and IP, right?
(on the terrestrial side)

I'm wondering if we could have:

* local bsc and it's colocated mgw

* local msc, with two colocated mgws (we decide which one to signal
depending on if the call is local or needs the SAT stream)

another point here is I undertand we don't _really_ need two MGWs, so
maybe just one in the village, shared between bsc/msc and one in the
datacentre.

so in the case of a call that is using sat/ osmux, the MSC in the
village is signalling the MGW in the datacentre, therefore this MSC
knows which IP/port combination to tell to osmo-sip-connector and on to
freeswitch, which then signals whatever SIP UA in the data centre

So, the fact that osmux is used at all is completely transparent to the
SIP UAs

Does that make sense?

k/