CommunityCellularManager (Re: Network interconnection over VPN/SIP)

Kurtis Heimerl kheimerl at cs.washington.edu
Mon Oct 22 21:41:02 UTC 2018

Some clarifications:

On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 1:06 PM Harald Welte <laforge at gnumonks.org> wrote:

> Hi Matthew,
>
> On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 11:51:32AM -0700, Matthew Johnson wrote:
> > to public voip network communication. The project was originally run by
> the
> > Telecom Infra Project, but was abandoned by them last year
>
> It's sad to hear that it has been officially abandoned :(
>
> It was more or less apparent to me that priorities had somewhat
> changed/shifted
> and that none of the more or less expected steps (like porting it to the
> post-NITB osmocom stack) have happened.

Couple clarifications, CCM was never part of TIP and was instead an FB
project. Abandoned is also maybe the wrong term; internal development at FB
ended and development was transferred out of the company. There isn't a lot
of activity now though, aside from the ongoing deployments.

> > after they moved to a new (unfortunately private) internal tool
>
> This is the first time I'm hearing about some private internal tool that
> replaces CCM.  Are you able to share more information about this?

As is the nature of private internal tools, no. It's not really a
replacement for CCM though, interests have moved in a different direction
(or had when I was still there).

--
Public Key: https://flowcrypt.com/pub/kheimerl@cs.washington.edu