Status of external USSD applications?

Michael Benedict michael at usehover.com
Fri Oct 19 17:56:38 UTC 2018

Hi all,

This is my second email here so I will start with a quick introduction
before a question:

I’m part of of an early stage company called Hover (www.usehover.com). We
offer an Android software development kit written in Java that helps
smartphone app developers automate USSD sessions in the background of
native apps. A typical use case is to build a nicer user interface for, eg.
mobile money transfers or airtime top-up.

Colleagues at the University of Washington pointed me to this exciting
project, and I have a B210 set up so I can register a phone on an Osmocom
network and run *#100# to see my MSISDN from OsmoHLR. Which brings me to my
question:

I see that Rowan Phipps at UW has modified an earlier version of the
Osmocom stack to run arbitrary USSD sessions from a Python web server. It
looks like related work was started in 9658 and 9661 [1], [2]. Are these
commits working, and what would be the best way for me to contribute to or
test this work? I would prefer to run the newer Osmo* projects rather than
try to use OsmoNITB. I am in the process of reading Rowan and Fairwaves'
work and will happily share anything I learn.

As context, we have 50k+ USSD session logs (i.e. menu text, not Wireshark
traces) from various markets. My end goal is to be able to test new apps
against these logs and otherwise experiment with arbitrary USSD sessions
locally.  Thank you for any suggestions you can offer.

—Michael

[1] https://gerrit.osmocom.org/#/c/osmo-msc/+/9658/
[2] https://gerrit.osmocom.org/#/c/osmo-msc/+/9661/