SMS: UCS-2 concatenation with UTF16 emoticons

Keith keith at rhizomatica.org
Tue Nov 20 08:04:24 UTC 2018

On 12/11/2018 16:54, Neels Hofmeyr wrote:
> With my commercial operator:
Hi Neels, thanks for doing this test, sorry i got distracted from this
and did not reply.

> I sent myself 40 emoticons and at least signal displays them correctly.
>
> Then I sent 40 and quickly changed the default SMS app back to the stock
> Messaging thing to receive the SMS there, and it also shows all 40 intact.
> Notably displayed as emoticons, apparently it does support them after all.

Yes, probably a keyboard issue, more than the app itself. Signal has
it's own built in emoji composer, and some keyboards have weird ways to
get to the emoji keyboard - Searching about FP2, I came across this
phrase "Just keep pressed the bottom right button (the green one) and
the option shows. Then move your finger to the left while still touching
the screen.", if that makes any sense to you.

Worst case, you could just compose in signal, then copy + paste. No need
to switch the App I think.

As Harald said, it would be good to test with a commercial core network,
but I don't have one :)

If you could quickly try this with your (or any) phone next time you
have it connected to your Osmocom network, that would confirm it is not
just my phones. (I really don't see anything out of the ordinary on my
protocol traces.)

Given that last time the emojis I posted to ML looked ok in a few MUAs,
here's the result of sending some emoji (copied from SMS app to K9 mail
- > saved to IMAP draft -> thunderbird.

with latest MSC, no SMPP mode:

Rcvd:

Thanks!