voting in gerrit: merge at +3? (+2+1 / +1+1+1)

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Mon Nov 19 06:36:34 UTC 2018

Hi Neels,

On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 06:16:02PM +0100, Neels Hofmeyr wrote:
> I think just giving +2 permissions to "everyone" is the easiest and socially
> most beautiful solution: rely on social policy rather than enforcing UI.

Makes sense to me.  At least for the past and current [size of]
community I would consider this a very acceptable/workable solution.
Maybe we simply go down that route, rather than setting up more complex
technical setups?

The community will have to pay attention that the etiquette is being
followed.

> A minor drawback I see is in the UI: I usually want to quickly see in the
> overview what patches make sense to take a closer look at now. But even if 10
> people cast a +1, the gerrit UI will only show a "+1" in the overview. Also, if
> one of those is a -1, I think it still shows "+1". So I would welcome listing
> all the individual votes in the overview list, like "-1,+1x10" -- not sure if
> that makes sense to implement in a plugin, probably not. Part of this problem
> goes away when a reviewer casts +2, then the overview will show "+2". But we
> still lose the "-1" part. A workaround is to always click and open every
> individual issue... that then shows each single vote of course. I think this
> minor drawback will still exist if we add up votes: not seeing -1s immediately.

ACK.