voting in gerrit: merge at +3? (+2+1 / +1+1+1)

Stefan Sperling stsp at stsp.name
Thu Nov 15 18:19:19 UTC 2018

On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 06:43:20PM +0100, Keith wrote:

> On 15/11/2018 15:41, Max wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I second this: rules have to be enforced by technical means whenever
> > possible.
>

> wow.
>
> It's interesting this should come up right now - I've recently been
> spending a lot of time reading about, watching documentaries, (last
> night it was the Bolsheviks!!) and generally studying the whole concept
> of this machine controlled society we (tech people) are blindly making
> for ourselves. And it's certainly one in which do not want to live, nor
> do I want anybody else I care about to live in.

But in this case, we make up the rules ourselves. We voluntarily impose
mandatory code review upon ourselves because we believe this helps us
ship better software at the end of the day. Because we all make mistakes.

Contrary to problems with tech in society in general, we don't impose
our code review process onto people who aren't directly involved.
And it's entirely up to us how far we go with enforcing our self-made
rules, by technical means or otherwise.

So I don't think this analogy makes sense in this particular case.

> As said Neels, I'll refrain from expressing my opinion again after this,
> so just once more; A "community" that can operate without the technical
> enforcement of rules will be a more healthy community.

The community is healthy if this discussion ends up with consensus for
some particular code review process we decide to try next. We'll only
get there if people keep expressing opinions, listen to each other,
and compromise willingly. So please don't stop voicing your opinions.