voting in gerrit: merge at +3? (+2+1 / +1+1+1)

Stefan Sperling stsp at stsp.name
Wed Nov 14 15:16:49 UTC 2018

On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 03:04:03PM +0100, Max wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I really like this idea: merging at +3 seems like a nice balance between not
> letting code go into master unchecked and having all the reviews by few
> people only.
>
> If some patch really got to be merged ASAP than I don't think it would be
> that hard to get extra +1 necessary: just ask at #osmocom :)
>
> I think giving everybody ability to +2 patches and merge them right away
> defeats the very purpose of having code review system in a first place - we
> could just merge to master directly in this case.

I fully agree with Max.

A transition to "everyone has +2" would be a far more drastic change
than what I was proposing. I believe this would result in less code
review being done than is being done today.

The goal is to get more code review done, not less of it.
Requiring +2 voters to also obtain a +1 is part of this idea because it
encourages +1 voters to add their votes to changes which already have a +2,
whereas today +1 voters tend to ignore changes other than their own.