React to IMSI Attach but not PERIODIC

Keith Whyte keith at rhizomatica.org
Wed May 23 20:27:38 UTC 2018

On 23/05/18 16:55, Harald Welte wrote:
> For example, I'm not sure if we'd actually reject a periodic LU at a
> time where that IMSI is not marked as attached already before.  Do we
> reject such a LU and somehow force the MS to perform an "IMSI ATTACH"
> type LU, or doe we accept it as an implicit attach?
From quick observation on legacy openBSC, we just accept the PERIODIC
LUR for a "detached" MS and update the LAC in the HLR.
So maybe the easiest thing to do is maintain this state somewhere else -
with the processing of the alert on the ESME side.

This is about Search and Rescue use, where the aim is to send
informative SMS to an MS that connects 1st time, but not on every
periodic LUR.
Not necessarily on every IMSI Attach either, although that would be
acceptable. But best to store an "intro sent" state in the ESME, even if
only in memory.
Another way to do it might be to connect something to the
subscriber-create-on-demand routine that generate an SMS, but then if
the phone was disconnected, changed hands, and reconnected, the new
owner would not be informed..