osmo-bsc with remote osmo-stp.

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sat Jun 16 14:58:05 UTC 2018

Hi Andrew,

On Fri, Jun 15, 2018 at 05:27:12PM +0100, Andrew Back wrote:
> I've had success with running a NITB based on the new architecture fine
> when everything is on one host. However, I'd now like to split this
> across multiple hosts.

that should be no problem whatsoever and is actually what we had originally
during development before trying to make it easy for people who run everything
on one host.

Also, please note that all our automatic integration / functional test suites
run each service in a separate docker container, each on its own IP address.

See e.g. http://git.osmocom.org/docker-playground/tree/ttcn3-bsc-test/osmo-bsc.cfg
for the osmo-bsc.cfg we use in this setup.

> I have one host dedicated to running osmo-stp and
> this appears to bind to the IP specified.

> However, the instance of
> osmo-bsc running on another host always fails to connect and I think,
> despite configuring to use a remote STP, it's trying localhost.

If you open wireshark, it should be possible to see rather quickly who connects
to whom, and whether that succeeds or fails, or with what error.  If you filter
on SCTP, you will [likely] only see the relevant connections of the A interface.

Also, you can display the SS7/SIGTRAN configuration by the VTY commands of
libosmo-sigtran, such as

show cs7 instance 0 asp
show cs7 instance 0 as all

those commands work on the BSC, the MSC as well as the STP to show the respective
state.