The magic behaviour of 'logging level all LEVEL'

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Mon Jul 30 18:50:21 UTC 2018

Hi Neels,

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 04:22:09PM +0200, Neels Hofmeyr wrote:
>  A) The hardcoded logging landscape on program startup without config.
>     (Maybe this isn't all that important, including it nevertheless.)
>    1) a command to reset all to hardcoded defaults?

ACK

>  B) A "normal" logging behavior configured by the user. We need:
>    1) a command to set all categories at once

to set all to one level, or to set all to one set of (configurable) defaults,
like a template?

>    2) a command to tweak individual categories

ACK.

>  C) Temporarily reducing the logging on all categories: silence the log.
>     Even though a category is "normally" set to INFO, after this command it can
>     be forced down to only log e.g. NOTICE. But if a category is already on
>     ERROR, leave it down there and do not lift it up to NOTICE.
>    1) a command to temporarily reduce all categories.
>    2) a command to temporarily reduce individual categories.

Not sure for what one would use that.  You could switch off logging completely
and re-enable it later?

>  D) Temporarily increasing the logging on all categories: show everything.
>     Even though a category is "normally" set to ERROR, after this command it
>     can be forced up to e.g. INFO. But if a category is already up at DEBUG,
>     don't reduce it to NOTICE.
>    1) a command to temporarily increase all categories.
>    2) a command to temporarily increase individual categories.
>    3) we need to decide whether temporarily increasing is stronger/weaker than
>       temporarily reducing. Depending on the implementation, it could also be
>       "last one wins" (which IMHO would be best).

Sounds incredibly complicated to me.

>  T) Maybe we also want to unconditionally set temporary levels, whether they
>     increase or reduce.

?!?

>  E) Remove temporary logging to go back to the "normal" logging landscape.
>    1) a command to put everything back to "normal",
>    2) a command to put individual categories back to "normal",
>    3) a separate command to only remove temporary reduction, i.e lift the
>       temporary changes only if they cause less logging than normal,
>    4) a separate command to only remove temporary verbosity, i.e. only lift the
>       temporary changes if they cause more logging than normal.

WTF? Why all that complexity?

Honestly, I'm stopping at that point.  Just finishing to read that one e-mail,
let alone the entire thread will cost me hours.

To me, it boils down to a hypthetical luxury problem, unless there's
somebody who is actually funding/contributing the amount of time
required to designing, debating, implementing, reviewing and merging and
overhaul of the logging sub-system.