The magic behaviour of 'logging level all LEVEL'

Pau Espin Pedrol pespin at sysmocom.de
Thu Jul 26 14:40:49 UTC 2018

Hi,
find answers in place.

On 26/07/18 16:20, Neels Hofmeyr wrote:

>> No, we cannot, we would probably require a new API to store them as
>> "harcoded categories"
>
> The information is always there, the default categories log_info_cat struct are
> const. Remeber, each log target has its own category-level settings, so
> obviously the hardcoded defaults remain available. It's a simple thing.

Ok, no need for new API, since it's already done using a specific API
(log_init). But we'd need to change the implementation to account in
that function that for each category the value being copied is the
"hardcoded default" instead of a regular level being set.

> And same as my last comment, you are changing a decade old vty command.
> Last time I did this it was the wrong choice.

Ok so let's leave it broken and useless then? Deprecate it and write an
entire new system? No, thanks.

>> Someone can always add these feature on top of present patchset if there's
>> enough use for it.
>
> Introducing a common default level actually also closes the door on
> fine-grained default levels. I mean the VTY UI you are introducing would have
> to be deprecated to introduce fine-grained defaults.

What do you mean with fine-grained default levels? Having a way to go
back to hardcoded initial values? You can have that as long as you store
the values in log_init in a new var default_loglevel for each category.

If you still want more temporary levels (increase/decrease or whatever
you call it) per logtarget or even per category, you can add them later
and check them before the other levels in should_log_to_target(), then
change them with new VTY commands.

> So the patch does what you want and is better than current 'logging level all
> xxx' indeed, but changes old UI and has limits. As much as I'd like to let it
> go ahead, I'm still -1, sorry.

It's compatible with old UI. All programs using the API continue to work
fine as well as old cfg files. It adds new parameter "logging level
default <loglevel>" and "logging level <category> unset", that's all. So
it fixes broken logging level all and adds extra feature to make it useful.

>> 1- Open a new VTY, then call logging level all debug
>
> true. Any opinions on this one, Keith maybe?

You can even just re-open the session you have opened, no need to open a
second one.

--
- Pau Espin Pedrol <pespin at sysmocom.de>         http://www.sysmocom.de/
* Alt-Moabit 93