The magic behaviour of 'logging level all LEVEL'

Pau Espin Pedrol pespin at sysmocom.de
Wed Jul 25 15:31:59 UTC 2018

Hi Neels,

The aim here was to fix and have a useful set of commands as close as
possible to the previously existing set of commands. So my aim here is
not to re-implement the whole logging system, deprecate entire command
sets or add a big bunch of new ones. I want it to be as compatible as
possible with older ones.

With the current patchset + few extra ideas exposed in last emails from me:

A) It's already there as it is now, no need to change. When you start a
program, code harcoded categories are set with a given loglevel.

B)
1) logging level all <loglevel>
2) logging level <category> <loglevel>

C) D) T) E)
I fins all this "temporary" stuff something really not there in current
code, too complex and not really required. You can do whatever config
setup you want with following command:
logging level (all|default|<category>) (unset|<loglevel>)

F) Not sure what's the current state for this, but not directly related
to the improvements I'm doing (I'm doing nothing filter related)

G) Agree that the naming is confusing, but not directly related to the
improvements I'm doing (I'm doing nothing filter related)

Current proposed system is basically (and very similar to old system,
just a bit better sort out imho):

* You have a logtarget loglevel. Each logtarget instance (VTY, stderr,
gsmtap, etc.) has one. This is also called the "default" log level.
* Each category can be either set with a loglevel or unset.
* If category is set with a loglevel, this loglevel is used to resolve
printing.
* If category is unset, default log level (logtarget loglevel) is used.
* If you add harcoded per-category values in code, then those are
applied at startup, which means these categories won't use the default
loglevel until unset.

--
- Pau Espin Pedrol <pespin at sysmocom.de>         http://www.sysmocom.de/
* Alt-Moabit 93