The magic behaviour of 'logging level all LEVEL'

Pau Espin Pedrol pespin at sysmocom.de
Wed Jul 25 15:08:45 UTC 2018

On 25/07/18 16:33, Neels Hofmeyr wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 11:16:46AM +0200, Pau Espin Pedrol wrote:
>> 2- Modification: "logging level all <loglevel>" sets the loglevel foreach
>> category, not the target loglevel (aka the default loglevel).
>> 3- Modification: "logging level unset <loglevel>" is renamed to "logging
>> level default <loglevel>"
>
> I find both 'logging level unset <level>' and 'logging level default <level>'
> confusing. Did you mean to say '<category>'?

No, I meant what I wrote.

So after my proposal (from my last email):

* "logging level default <level>": Sets default log level (the loglevel
for unset categories, aka the logtarget loglevel) to <level>.

* "logging level all <level>": Sets each (all) category to use log level
<level>, without modifying the default log level (aka logtarget loglevel).

* "logging level (all|<category>) unset": Unsets given category log
level, and as a result log messages for that category are handled by
default log level (aka logtarget loglevel).

* "logging level (all|<category>) <level>": Sets given category to given
log level. As a result, messages for that category are handled by this
log level and not the default log level.

Regarding your last comment: unsetting doesn't mean going to initially
per-category set defaults during startup of the application. It means to
fallback to default log level (aka logtarget loglevel). Initial
hardcoded values set per-category are basically the same as if you went
through the VTY setting "log level <category> <level>" before parsing
the cfg file.

--
- Pau Espin Pedrol <pespin at sysmocom.de>         http://www.sysmocom.de/
* Alt-Moabit 93