External USSD interface development

Alexander Chemeris Alexander.Chemeris at fairwaves.co
Tue Jan 16 00:52:07 UTC 2018

Hi, Harald,

I'm surprised to read this because I'm quite sure that you suggested
breaking the API/ABI and increasing the library number yourself, and
Vadim worked under the assumption that this is the suggested way to
go.

On Sun, Jan 14, 2018 at 8:00 AM, Harald Welte <laforge at gnumonks.org> wrote:
> Let's assume anyone wants to build an old OsmoNITB version, for example
> in order to test for a regression (e.g. using 'git bisect').  How
> would you do this, if for every version you want to test, you need
> also *all* the matching libosmo* of that time.

I personally believe that switching all libraries versions is the only
right way to do in this situation because there are quite a lot of
synchronized changes in both OsmoNITB and the underlying libraries.
And specifically with hunting a regression example I would want to use
a version of all the code in the exact state as it was before.

> To make things worse,
> you don't even know which of the versions you need to use, making
> it impossible to hunt down when a regression was introduced in an effective
> way.

I thought that library versions serve exactly this purpose - to know
which version to build against?

Another way is something similar to what we've done in osmo-combo repo
which allows you to specify specific commits in each sub-module to
build against.

> So whatever we do, we have to try our best to keep old APIs stable
> or backwards-compatible.  In most cases, the old API would simply
> be a compatibility wrapper around the new API.  So there's one
> implementation of a given functionality, but the new users use it
> directly, while the old users go through a compatibility wrapper.

I'll let Vadim comment here but from what I remember, the old
implementation is broken enough to make it difficult to maintain. I
would rather focus on making sure the new API is good enough and we
don't need to break things again in the foreseeable future.

Alexander Chemeris.
CTO/Founder, Fairwaves, Inc.
Skype: Alexander.Chemeris
Mobile: +1(424)400-7626