Help required for non-sync Handover

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Mon Jan 15 12:39:03 UTC 2018

Hi Muhammad,

On Mon, Jan 15, 2018 at 03:03:10PM +0500, Muhammad Awais Aslam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have manged to decode the BSIC in dedicated mode which were not
> implemented before.

Osmocom lives by contribution. If you have implemented useful parts that we
don't support yet, please submit them back to us -- that would be highly
appreciated.
http://osmocom.org/projects/cellular-infrastructure/wiki/Coding_standards#Submitting-Patches

> Now we are working on the synchronize and
> non-synchronize Handover. Once we send the fake measurement report to the
> BTS we get a handover command from the network. That could be synchronized
> or non-synchronized.
>
> In case of synchronized hand over, without making any changes in the TPU
> clock offset and the frame number and frequency correction, we are able to
> complete the handover process most of the time.
>
> In case of non-synchronized handover, a physical info is required from the
> network when mobile station would send Handover access burst to the network
> before the timer expires but we never get physical info during this period.
> Here we are stuck.

I'm currently working on handover, though my attention is (should be) more on
the HO decision making process: trigger handover due to load considerations.

In the process though I am touching and testing the stock handover code as
well, and have seen some code concerned with sync and async HO.

You say that you are able to do sync HO but not async. However, it appeared to
me so far that all we ever do is async HO. i.e., in handover_logic.c, we have

  rc = rsl_chan_activate_lchan(new_lchan, RSL_ACT_INTER_ASYNC, ho->ho_ref);

and a patch that is in the pipeline now adds even the possibility to pass _SYNC
instead of _ASYNC (while we're still going to pass _ASYNC anyway in all cases,
so far).

So either you have SYNC and ASYNC mixed up or we're misunderstanding each
other... You are asking about osmocom code, right?

~N