Approach to system testing for Osmocom stack

Holger Freyther holger at freyther.de
Wed Jan 10 00:24:47 UTC 2018

Hi,

the lua binding code was added to be able to automate OpenBSC tests. In theory we should be able to do this for SMS and UpdateLocation (call handling with MNCC exposing is left as a todo) but in practice we miss a piece of software to coordinate this and run the test. We miss it because it is an interesting problem but also I lost time on switching countries, learning new tricks at a project...

The basic testing structure looks easy as well. We want to define the number of concurrent subscribers (0, 10, 100, 1000, n) and to make it simple a single test (UL, send SMS, t) and execute the same test for each subscriber and call it a success if y% of tests succeed within time T. The way to measure this is easy as well. The lua script would print some data (e.g. the name of the ms) when it starts and completes.

For some degrees of freedom I don't have a good idea.. and feedback is welcome.

I am not sure if I should spawn, configure, add subscribers, a flavor of Osmocom cellular? I look into having some set of templates for the config, the stack to launch and in concept it looks awfully similar to something the GSM tester is doing. Shall we leave virtbts/cellular to the Osmocom tester and just focus on coordinating mobile? My feeling is to leave this to the Osmo GSM tester.

If we have n subscribers I would launch m copies of "mobile" (but run multiple MS in a single binary). So with 4 MS per mobile process and 10k subs we would end with 2.5k processes + many log messages coming from each. Would that scale with python? Should we look into doing this one in Go? Or can some of GSM tester be used (the template part)? I would probably design this concurrently with Go(besides being the first).

any ideas/comments?

	holger