question about 'lai & lac' paging

Stefan Sperling stsp at stsp.name
Mon Jan 8 14:30:03 UTC 2018

On Mon, Jan 08, 2018 at 01:25:16PM +0100, Harald Welte wrote:
> Hi Stefan,
>
> On Mon, Jan 08, 2018 at 12:43:23PM +0100, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> > The code below is probably better but the test seems to use MCC/MNC values
> > that don't match the configured network -- perhaps a byte-ordering issue?
> > When I run ttcn3 test TC_paging_imsi_nochan_lai I now see:
> > osmo_bsc_bssap.c:365 Not paging IMSI 001010000000009: MCC/MNC in Cell Identifier List (0/10) do not match our network (1/1)
>
> what do the protocol traces say? If you look with wireshark at both BSSMAP and RSL
> it should be pretty easy to see if wireshark also thinks there's some wrong encoding.

Wireshark shows "MCC 0" and "MNC 010" in the BSSMAP paging frame.

> > I haven't yet looked where ttcn3's MCC/MNC values are set. Any hints?
>
> See "private function f_enc_mcc_mnc(GsmMcc mcc, GsmMnc mnc)" in library/BSSMAP_Templates.ttcn
> and its callers. It may very well be buggy.

With Daniel's help I could get the right MCC/MNC in wireshark.
See https://gerrit.osmocom.org/#/c/5682

I now see paging happening for both BTS 0 and 2 but the ttcn3
TC_paging_imsi_nochan_lai test is still unhappy (same error).
I suppose this means either it does not receive the RSL paging message
(which shows up in wireshark) or the message template doesn't match?
I've been trying to spot a problem in the template but so far no luck.