A5/1 Encryption Enabled - Programmable SIM unable to camp

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Wed Feb 28 14:18:10 UTC 2018

On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 11:26:25AM +0000, Ron wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Does anyone tried enabling the A5/1 Encryption using osmo-bsc and osmo-msc?

Hi Ron,

I have recreated your setup locally and can reproduce the error. Needless to
say that this should work and shame on us for apparently not having an
effective regression test for this :/ https://osmocom.org/issues/3017

I've tested A5/1 recently and it works for me, however, I usually have both 2G
and 3G auth keys in the HLR database. Now that I have removed the 3G tokens
from the HLR, an A5/1-COMP128v1 setup indeed fails to authenticate.

In the meantime, you can try to workaround if you also enter 3G K+OPC in the
HLR database.

~N