switched to gerrit +3, some ideas

Stefan Sperling stsp at stsp.name
Mon Dec 17 15:02:39 UTC 2018

On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 06:08:34PM +0100, Neels Hofmeyr wrote:
> See voting rules draft at https://osmocom.org/projects/cellular-infrastructure/wiki/Gerrit
>
> Give feedback, otherwise these are now in force.

The new section about voting rules looks good to me.
There's some historical baggage throughout this document which
should be cleaned up, though.

For instance, further down the page in the section
https://osmocom.org/projects/cellular-infrastructure/wiki/Gerrit#Rationale
under "The advantages of Gerrit" it still says:

 * developers + maintainers can formally vote on a patch (developer: -1/0/+1, maintainer: -2/0/+2)
 * once a patch has +2 score, it can be (automatically) merged into master

I suppose we could just remove those lines? They simply describe
the default configuration of gerrit.

Similarly, the section
https://osmocom.org/projects/cellular-infrastructure/wiki/Gerrit#Merge-patch-to-master
begins with "A patch can be merged when it has CR+2 and V+1 votes, ..."
and duplicates information which is already covered at the top of the page.

Apart from that, there is some obsolete information such as a description
of a gerrit bug which has been fixed upstream -- do we really need to keep
such information around?
https://osmocom.org/projects/cellular-infrastructure/wiki/Gerrit#Rebase-if-necessary

I am wondering if there isn't a better way to integrate the new voting rules
in the existing text, rather than putting them right at the top of the page?
The page is about general gerrit usage in Osmocom. It doesn't really make
much sense to explain voting etiquette before explaining basic details such
as how to access gerrit in the first place.

Any volunteers for cleaning this page up?
Did I just volunteer involuntarily? :)