nano3g ip.access femtocells and transcoding

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Fri Dec 14 15:28:23 UTC 2018

Hi Mykola,

that talk about AMR in this thread is completely moot when we're talking IuCS
and nano3G.

The point is that IuCS doesn't talk plain RTP, it talks IuUP inside the RTP
payload (!). That is another header, and the AMR bits inside that are mangled
and shifted around, even though the underlying codec is still AMR.

We are also talking about that as we are gearing up for congress. Not so long
ago on this mailing list we have talked about IuUP, and the two branches that
are half finished work towards de-/encapsulating IuUP when talking to 3G.

So far 3G <-> 3G voice calls work only because we directly pass through the
IuUP (with a pretty mad header hack) and then both ends understand to extract
the voice from it.

As soon as you want to go 3G <-> 2G or 3G <-> PBX, it's a lost cause without
IuUP decoding, e.g. in OsmoMGW.

~N