voting in gerrit: merge at +3? (+2+1 / +1+1+1)

Oliver Smith osmith at sysmocom.de
Mon Dec 10 13:25:32 UTC 2018

Hi Max and ML,

On 12/10/18 1:39 PM, Max wrote:
> What about -1 vote counting?
>
> Say User1 put -1 on the patch, User2 put +1 and User3 put +2. Can the
> patch be merged in this case?

We played with this idea here:
https://gerrit.osmocom.org/#/c/sandbox/+/12218/

Results:
* -1, +1, +2 -> can not be merged
* -1, +1, +2, +1 -> can be merged

So yes, negative votes do get substracted from the total of 3 that is
required for a merge.

However, Neels discovered something else we should think about
collectively: the overview in the UI is confusing with the new +3
configuration applied (which we currently have in the sandbox repo only).

https://gerrit.osmocom.org/#/q/%22What+about+-1+vote+counting%22

As time of writing, this shows only the patch mention above. It can
*not* be merged, as it has -1+1+2=2. However, the search results show a
green checkmark in the code review (CR) column. Probably, because there
is a +2 in the reviews. So this is misleading, as one might think that
the patch is ready, although it isn't.

The "New UI" is only slightly better. It is also showing the checkmark,
but it is colored red instead of green.

So... is this what we want, or should we rather give everyone +2 and set
up a social convention (see earlier discussions in this thread)?

Regards,
Oliver
--
- Oliver Smith <osmith at sysmocom.de>            https://www.sysmocom.de/