building and publishing manuals for osmo-gsm-tester.git

Oliver Smith osmith at sysmocom.de
Fri Dec 7 13:16:34 UTC 2018

Hi everyone,

the manuals have been moved to the project specific repositories. I'm
wondering what's the best way implement gerrit build verification and
publishing the manuals for osmo-gsm-tester.git.

With typical Osmocom projects, we have gerrit-verifications.yml and
master-builds.yml, which build the projects when patches land in gerrit
and when commits are merged to master. The latter is also able to
publish the generated PDFs. No osmo-gsm-tester related jobs are created
in both configs so far. Instead, there is a section in
osmo-gsm-tester_runner.yml, which generates the osmo-gsm-tester_gerrit job.

This osmo-gsm-tester_gerrit job works differently than the
gerrit-verifications and master-builds jobs; they do not seem to have
the osmo-ci scripts available (which are used to build and install
dependencies and to clean up the workspace). The way I've implemented
building and publishing manuals in the other projects makes use of both
scripts (the dependency that gets installed is osmo-gsm-manuals, which
has the shared manuals content).

So far, the osmo-gsm-tester_gerrit job runs a few smoke test to make
sure that the osmo-gsm-tester is not completely broken. It does not do a
full run, as this would take 15 hours.

I see the following solutions now:
a) remove osmo-gsm-tester_gerrit and add an entry in
   gerrit-verifications and master-builds instead. Then implement
   manuals building and publishing just like in the other projects.
b) extend osmo-gsm-tester_gerrit to build manuals, without the osmo-ci
   scripts (so it's maybe 10 more lines of shell code), and create an
   entry in master-builds for publishing the manuals (together with a
   new jenkins script, e.g. contrib/jenkins-publish-manuals.sh)
c) do not do build the manuals in osmo-gsm-tester_gerrit, but keep that
   job and add an *additional* job in gerrit-verifications just for
   building the manuals (also add the same job in master-builds to build
   and publish the manuals).

Regarding c), I am not sure how this would look like in gerrit. Two jobs
would get triggered for each new patch, but jenkins should only give the
verification +1 if both jobs ran through - can it do that?

Regards,
Oliver

--
- Oliver Smith <osmith at sysmocom.de>            https://www.sysmocom.de/