Rationale for having master builds in docker containers?

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Thu Dec 6 10:28:53 UTC 2018

Hi!

I'm currently wondering why on earth we'd be running our master builds
inside docker containers on the build slaves.

According to https://git.osmocom.org/osmo-ci/tree/jobs/master-builds.yml
we're currently building the following projects inside a container:
* openbsc.git
* osmo-bsc.git
* osmo-mgw.git
* osmo-msc.git
* osmo-sgsn.git

but none of the others.

AFAIR, Holger originally introduced the dockerized builds for speeding
up the build tests?  I'm not sure how that

In terms of the history that we have on the jenkins job builder files in
osmo-ci.git, the dockerized builds in master-builds.yml were copied from
the gerrit-verifications.yml.  But the git history of course doesn't go
back to why the [manual jenkins jobs] used the docker container in the
first place.

My line of thought would be to have [at least] all master builds run
natively on the build slave.  They are all generated by ansible these
days, and should contain a well-defined environment.

Any comments?

p.s.: The underlying topic is that SSH agent forwarding doesn't exceed
into the docker container, and hence it is not possible to use jenkins
credentials for uploading resulting build artefacts such as the
manuals...