GGSN p-t-p address?

Mychaela Falconia mychaela.falconia at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 16:16:41 UTC 2018

Hi Keith!

> It's a problem for sure, even if such a (mobile side) device existed,
> users would likely in most cases just use it to connect to closed,
> proprietary, centralised, surrveillance based and advertising funded
> networks to give away their thoughts and minds and freedoms. What to do?

I don't see how it would be a problem if people use a FLOSS phone to
connect to mainstream commercial GSM or UMTS networks.  I don't see
those networks as advertising-funded, they sure seem subscriber-funded
to me (everyone pays a monthly bill to get a SIM with a phone number),
and if you have the complete source code plus hardware schematics for
your phone, then *you* control what your phone does and doesn't do,
and it simply interacts with the operator's network in accordance with
standard protocol specs.

If I use the cellular voice network of T-Mobile USA with my own phone
(not issued and not approved by T-Mobile) for everyday mundane business
like calling in to say that I am on my way in traffic when I'm running
a little late for an appointment, I don't see how I am giving away my
thoughts or my mind or my freedom - in my view, I am not.

> OsmoCon next year?

If someone is interested enough in my mobile-side work to sponsor my
travel costs, then sure, and in that case the prospective sponsor
would need to tell me now so I can start the months-long application
process for the travel document - it can't be done at the last minute.
In the absence of such interest and sponsorship, I do hope to make it
out to OsmoCon on my own dime eventually, but it won't be next year:
it would have to be after my surgery, which means at least another 2-3
years.  Leah Rowe of Libreboot just got hers done (vimuser.org/surgery),
now it's time for mine, so that's where I am currently directing all
of my spare money.

> (Maybe rhizomatica should host it in Mexico, although
> that would mean a lot of carbon burning for most people to get there!)

If you do host something in Mexico (preferably somewhere close to the
border like Tijuana), that should definitely be affordable for me to
travel to on my own!  I am just north of that border.

M~