GGSN p-t-p address?

Keith keith at rhizomatica.org
Wed Aug 22 10:07:39 UTC 2018

On 20.08.2018 05:41, Mychaela Falconia wrote:
> Keith wrote:
>
>> No mention of 192.168.100.101.
>>
>> Maybe this is just what the ppp code in the pppd or in the kernel uses
>> for the dstaddr of the p-t-p link if it is not getting this info elsewhere?
> Harald Welte replied:
>
>> No, I think it's what some component in your phone is inventing and returning
>> to the ppp daemon on your Linux machine :)
> My first thought in reaction to Keith's analysis was what Harald said,
> so I decided to test it experimentally.  I don't have my own Osmocom
> network or any BTS of my own to test with, but I do have active service
> on several SIMs with the local GSM&UMTS commercial network operator in
> my neck of the woods

So, I decided to carry out a similar simple test, by putting my local
operator SIM into the modem.
I still got the 192.168.100.101 p-t-p address. Given that this happens
on OpenWRT and Windows, although I didn't bother test windows with the
local operator, I would have to assume that in my case, it's coming from
the modem, as Harald suggests.

An interesting side point, I noticed on connecting to the commercial
operator that the modem (actually the motozrkr k3 in USB comms mode,
which I had locked in 2G mode) does have a different icon for EDGE and GPRS.

In all my use of it on my osmocom network, I have never seen the EDGE
icon, though all my androids show "E" when I have gprs mode egprs -
(they also take a while to go back to "G" after setting gprs mode gprs
and restarting everything)

Besides, I've never seen any performance difference between gprs and
egprs modes on my osmocom network, but now this is off topic, but maybe
something is not quite right with our SI or maybe the GPRS negociations?

> so if anyone is interested, you
> are more than welcome to study the PPP-to-GPRS translation code in
> this modem implementation and see what it does.

Can we see diagnostic output on gprs negociation on the freecalypso side?
Does it give us an "insight" into what this TI baseband is doing?
Harald, would this help at all in developing the osmo-pcu, sgsn, ggsn et al?

Thanks!

k/