Move osmo-bsc (with osmo-bts-trx and osmo-trx-lms) to another device

Norbertas Kremeris n.kremeris at live.com
Fri Aug 17 09:47:01 UTC 2018

Dear all,

I have a running and working osmocom network stack (2g only, no
GPRS/DATA) with osmo-trx-lms using a LimeSDR mini (osmo-trx-lms,
osmo-bts-trx, osmo-bsc, osmo-hlr, osmo-stp, osmo-msc, a and single
osmo-mgw process) , and I would like to have osmo-bts-trx, osmo-trx-lms
and osmo-bsc moved to another computer. I would like to have an AoIP
connection between the pc1 and pc2. As far as i understand, osmo-bsc and
osmo-mgw communicate over AoIP (as per the manual here
http://ftp.osmocom.org/docs/latest/osmomgw-usermanual.pdf).

My knowledge about the interconnection of all the osmocom core
components is rather limited, and what at first seemed like a trivial
task (to move osmo-bsc to the other computer and changing the msc mgw
remote ip) has turned into a 2 day ordeal with me trying to wrap my head
around the functionality of all the core components without any success.

I have modified my stack to work with a single osmo-mgw process (but the
moving of osmo-bsc does not work with osmo-mgw-for-bsc and
osmo-mgw-for-msc either). Attached are all the configuration files used.
The IP of the osmo-bts-trx, osmo-trx-lms and osmo-bsc running pc (PC1)
is 192.168.1.249, the ip of the pc (PC2) that is running the core
network components is 192.168.1.219. All my osmocom components are built
from source (latest tags).

Running the osmoBSC on the PC1 connects to osmo-bts successfully and
does result in a network being shown on the phone, but osmo-bsc
constantly throws errors:

         <0007> a_reset.c:106 A-RESET(msc-0)[0x1ee0530]{DISC}:
(re)sending BSSMAP RESET message...
         <0007> osmo_bsc_sigtran.c:92 Sending RESET to MSC:
RI=SSN_PC,PC=0.23.1,SSN=BSSAP
         <001c> m3ua.c:507 XUA_AS(as-clnt-msc-0)[0x1edfd30]{AS_DOWN}:
Event AS-TRANSFER.req not permitted

Any pointers would be very appreciated.

Sincerely,

Norbertas