MO-SMS Maximum Number of Characters for OSMO-NITB and OSMO-BSC less than 60?

Ron ron.menez at entropysolution.com
Mon Apr 16 02:55:08 UTC 2018

Hi Pau and Keith,

We updated to the latest version and the SMS for both osmo-nitb and osmo-bsc are now working fine.

Thanks for the advised.

Best Regard,

Ron Menez
ron.menez at entropysolution.com<mailto:ron.menez at entropysolution.com>

On Mar 25, 2018, at 6:21 PM, Keith Whyte <keith at rhizomatica.org<mailto:keith at rhizomatica.org>> wrote:

On 23/03/18 16:24, Ron wrote:
Hi All,
Hi Ron.

Can anyone confirm if the maximum MO-SMS that can be sent is less than
60 characters including spaces?

I have worked quite extensively with SMS and have not experienced any
such limitation at all, or any deviation from standard. AFAIK an SMS
payload is 140 bytes, Always. What you get in there depends on other
things, like what character are in the message.

For OSMO-NITB, we reach a maximum of 59 characters for MO-SMS, while
for OSMO-BSC, we only reach a maximum of 50 characters (MO-SMS).

Can you elaborate about your setup, what it is you are doing?
What is it you are experiencing when you send a longer message?
Are you using SMPP, or only inside the nitb/bsc?
It is the MS that forms the SMS, not the network. I've never seen
anything where the network says "sorry too big, split that SMS into
two", I don't believe such a thing exists.