HEADS UP: stricter VTY, possible config fallout

Pablo Neira Ayuso pablo at gnumonks.org
Thu Sep 21 11:44:02 UTC 2017

Hi Neels,

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 04:06:16PM +0200, Neels Hofmeyr wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> we have recently merged a profound change to the inner workings of the VTY
> configuration. We've hit some fallout due to that, hence I would like to let
> you know that you might hit the same.
>
> The VTY parsing of config files is now strict about indenting.
> A child node *must* be indented below the parent node,
> and indenting must be consistent.
>
> For more details on the reason why and a definition of 'consistent', see the
> commit log of
> https://git.osmocom.org/libosmocore/commit/?id=4a31ffa2f0097d96201f80305a0495c57552f0ad

I understand there are a good reasons for this and that a lot of
experimentation is going on to consolidate the project.

But it would be good to keep in the horizon to have a more stricter
policy on breaking backward compatibility, even if there are good
reason to fix up inconsistent things, or fix in new software, eg.
osmo-bsc while keeping the current behaviour around in the legacy
openbsc.git tree.

I don't want to create any long debate on this, just an observation.

Thanks!