VTY tests still causing build failures

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Wed Sep 13 11:02:57 UTC 2017

On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 04:08:51PM +0800, Holger Freyther wrote:
> > This particular failure is due to a VTY change in libosmocore.  I have fixed it
> > in osmo-bsc.git, and this needs to be applied to openbsc.git as well.
> > Change-Id: I77931d6a09c42c443c6936000592f22a7fd06cab
>
> Great. So the VTY tests found a behavior change and did its job.

Also it has just uncovered that the osmo-nitb VTY's 'nitb' vty node lacked the
default node commands (including 'exit' and 'end'), so it was never really
necessary to leave the 'nitb' node. It always took the parent node's exit/end
command. Fix applied in https://gerrit.osmocom.org/3921, hope it gets +V now,
then we can rebase the other patches onto it.

> I think
> disabling tests is a slippery slope.

About the particular testBSCreload test that apparently still fails sometimes,
and despite extensive digging we never came up with a way to solidify it, I
think that we might be ok with disabling that one. Only that one.

> We do run into some form of resource limitation and mitigated by reducing
> the number of executors (but that is up again). In the past the VTY test
> runner forgot to close sockets but we were still running into something.
>
> So either a form of kernel limit (and I couldn't find a MIB counting it)
> or something caused by "slow" (as recently pointed out) disk leading to a
> slow start of the software under test?
[...]
> broken pipe still sounds like either we kill the TCP connection before
> we want to or the remote process terminated. Could we dump core and check
> if these exist at the end of the test run (and check that dumping core in
> a container works).

The debug output we've added so far didn't suggest an obvious error. It would
be great to find a solution ... but I feel that other todos are more important
ATM :/

~N